PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Class 1 - Daft to Pursue this?
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2023, 22:23
Caledonia91

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Class 1 - Daft to Pursue this?

Hi all,

When I started flight training back in 2019 I went to get my Class 2 medical and it was discovered that I had amblyopia - I knew one of my eyes was 'weaker' than the other but I had no idea that I had this condition. My opticians have never mentioned it once.

The CAA made me undergo a medical flight test which was satisfactory, and I was then given a restricted Class 2 with a VDL and RXO limitation. The RXO has forced me for the last three years to see an ophthalmic consultant who has repeatedly wrote to the CAA that I have well adapted amblyopia since birth and have a degree of binocular function, although not normal binocular function. I previously spoke to Dr Adrian Chorley who's advice was to seek a Class 1 in the United States where this isn't an issue and come back, but I can't do this for VISA/Family issues and it seems an unreasonable/unfeasible workaround.

During my recently Class 2 renewal, to my dismay, the CAA have told me they've tightened the rules and now consider me monocular by their standards - despite my consultant saying that I DO have some binocular function. I was made to undergo another MFT which was totally fine.

I've now got hundreds of hours under with my SEP/TMG and FI(S) ratings but the dream has always been commercial, and I've just booked my Class 1 at the cost of £700 odd quid knowing that I am going to fail it, but with the hope it opens a door to appeal.
​​​​​​​
Am I mental or do I have a hope in hell?