PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hill Helicopters HX50
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2023, 17:39
IceHopper

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hargreaves99
Not only is there absolutely no comparison between the outdated and rather embarrassing R66, which not only costs significantly more to purchase (as you've pointed out), but the R66 needs to be rebuilt every 2,000hrs at a minimum cost of US$397k (£316k) where as the HC50 is good for 5,000hrs. When that is factored in, the absolute base model R66 is going to cost a minimum of £853k + 1.5 rebuilds @ £316k ea = £1327k, nearly double the certified HC50 at £725k. On those numbers it's a bit of a no brainer really. Robinson won't sell another R66 once HC50 becomes available. Even the R44 sales will be virtually wiped out. Their plan? Hope that HC50 never eventuates. Pretty hopeless business model.
I agree completely. Yet, while I'm waiting for the HX50, I enjoy flying the R66 to all sorts of places. There's no alternative around right now that matches its combination of performance, endurance, and operating cost. Frank Robinson put machines on the market with a similar spirit as Jason Hill. I hope Jason will be as successful as Frank has been in the past!
The following 3 users liked this post by IceHopper: