PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Avoid English PPL theory exams at Hungary center!
Old 12th Dec 2023, 11:53
Clausencallum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Avoid English PPL theory exams at Hungary center!

Thought I'd share my experience with doing PPL exams at Hungary Centre - would highly recommend using the Austrian Centre is Szeged instead....

It is crazy how bad the English translations are!!

To start with - there were many small mistakes such as 'joke' instead of 'yoke'.. or 'bee' instead of 'be'.. ...
Secondly - in every exam there were phrases which are unheard of /are phrased as if a 2 year old is describing them... There were many in my exam but a couple which I remember were 'elevation steering wheel' and 'horizontal surface of gravity'...
Thirdly - There were several questions where the answers didn't make sense - I assume because of mis-translations.. One of the questions I had was 'Your plane is in a left bank after being hit by a thermal under the left wing. What is your initial reaction/recovery?'.. All the answers involved 'apply left aileron'..... making the left bank even bigger!!
Another question I had was 'you are taking off from a runway with a downslope.. the flat-surface takeoff distance is xyx metres.. calculate the increased take-off distance'.. But having a downslope decreases it!!. but because there were the answers for both an upslope and downslope.. there is no way of telling which one is correct.. because the mis-translation could be with upslope/downslope or increase/decrease...

The phrases described above are only a small percentage of the grammar mistakes made... At least 60% of questions were barely understandable/not using standard phrases...