PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 3 Engine ferry flights with piston/ turboprop aircraft ?
Old 12th Dec 2023, 01:30
tonytales

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thinking more on three engine ferries, we had a DC-51 (ex-Trans Carribean) that made, some years apart, three engined ferries JFK to MIA. Literally 3 engines. The first was a crosswind landing resulting in dragging the nbr. 4 which came off. and was left behind. Pylon stayed on but was deformed. The pylon was removed before the ferry.
Some years later I was called to take the binoculars and go with the airport fire chief to a runway and observe a low fly-past of the sane aircraft. The right main landing gear was not locking down. Sure enough, I could see the RMLG was swaying inboard as he gave a little bank.
They set up for an emergency landing and called in the NY City Fire Department to back up the JFK crash trucks. I stayed with the Port Authority fire chief in his car. Crash truck at every taxiway down the runway, city providing backup. The chief and I were at the approach end and as the DC-8 flew over raced down the runway after t. Smooth landing in a stiff crosswind and the DC-8 rolled for a distance and then the RMG walked in and nbr. 4 engine started dragging, sparking, flames. A/C came to a stop and nbr. 4 engine disappeared under a mountain of foam.
Long story about the emergency chutes on port side all blowing under the fuselage.
After we offloaded the pax via mobile steps we jacked the aircraft up. The pinion in the RMLG that the actuator attached to had come out. The big actuator with no load had sent a shock wave thru the gear hydraulics and the little downlock cylinder had inflated into a perfectly round bal. This shortened the stroke so gear wouldn't lock down.
After a gear change and removal of nbr. 4 and its pylon she ferried on 3 engines to MIA. How many aircraft can boast of that?