PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crosswind Landing Accident.
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2023, 13:20
RichardJones

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by markkal
Perhaps a bit out of topic as it would not apply to big jets, with low wings and low mounted engines, Way back in the past as you pointed out, tailwheel aircrafts required precised skills among those one was required to slip on final to bleed of altitude as most of the time there were no flaps.

So the slipping technique became ingrained and in general aviation allowed pilots to be mentlaly and tactically connected during the flare to allow the aircraft by slipping it, to lower the wing upwind and applying oppostite rudder so to be able to keep runway centerline in between the flare and touchdown without drifting to the downwind side.

"cross controlling" is considered dangerous and not tought anymore. Few pilots know the difference betwen the slip and the skid. And the slip contrary to the skid is not a dangerous maneuver. While it does not apply to big jets, all those handling skills now gone would have certainly helped better awareness, finesse and timing during the decrabbing before touchdown.

The result is that most pilots in general aviation often land too fast, without decrabbing, they are not tought to keep "flying" during the flare, they just flare and wait whatever happens.
If you want to land a tricycle properly, not only during a crosswing but at all times, without throwing it around, it requires the same skills as a taildragger, i.e. having it point down the runway without crab with cross controlled inputs, and letting the mains touch the ground just before stall keeping the nose wheel off the runway until loss of lift gently eases it into the ground.

Furthermore there is often a parallax problem not corrected at touchdown in side by side aircrafts, whereby the longitudinal axis is right in front of you and not passing through the prop spinner at the center of the cowling.

All these techniques may not be applicable to big jets but certainly would help be coordinated, sharp and focussed during the flare with correct timing inputs to decrab at the right moment.
Different skill may apply to different types of aircrafts, but the confidence each one of those skills provides makes anyone a better pilot.
Well said. Good post. You know your stuff. You are probably the right stuff.
The basics are the same. Doesn't matter the size of the aircraft. The big jets I have flown, were low wing monoplanes. The basices are the same as a PA 28. It's not rocket science. Don't try and reinvent the wheel.
Juggling the rudders, especially on a sweeped wing aircraft you are inviting trouble. Ease a bootful in and hold it. Some leeward rudder is better than none!!
I rest my case.