PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 3 Engine ferry flights with piston/ turboprop aircraft ?
Old 10th Dec 2023, 17:54
CV880

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I recall Cargolux 3 engine ferrying 1 or 2 CL44J's into Kai Tak after suffering damage elsewhere. One had a prop get tangled up with some ground equipment in India if my memory is correct, so prop removed and ferried to HKG for repairs. The other was a Tyne major failure and fire that damaged the nacelle needing extensive repairs. Not sure where that happened.
Strangest one I heard about was our factory reps wife swore she saw a 3-engined DC8 landing at Long Beach ie. only 3 engines installed. Husband said no way but the next day found a US major's JT4 powered DC8 on the ramp with no #1 engine installed. Turned out it had experienced a violent seizure of No 1 engine in flight and after removal of the failed engine they found the pylon was twisted and a replacement engine could not be installed. Douglas crew ferried it to Long Beach for a pylon repair/replacement. Factory rep had to apologise to wife.