PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA Resilience
Thread: EASA Resilience
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2023, 15:16
safetypee

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Learning within the unknowable

'Rethinking The Fifth Discipline'; R. L. Flood
A book about 'Resilience', but doesn't uses the word.
About individual and organisational safety, but not like any other.
A book about Systems Thinking, where the sub title better describes it value;

'Learning within the unknowable'

Download from: https://epdf.tips/rethinking-the-fif...nknowable.html
- or
https://epdf.tips/search/Rethinking+...rt+Louis+Flood

Part 1 reviews Senge's book 'The Fifth Discipline', and briefly introduces eminent historical views of Systems (Systemic) Thinking - complexity, but with sufficient explanation to more than satisfy a cursory view.

Part 2 provides comprehensive presentation of many human related safety issues. Aspects of Resilience, HF, Airmanship, are embedded in the book without identification, thus provide a satisfying challenge to collate the components, which irrespective of individual viewpoint are all there.
An opportunity to change our thinking, to learn within the 'unknowable'.

Author's reflections:
"I was taught that concluding a book on ‘management and organisation’ normally is not very difficult. The task is to tie up, round off, and crystallise the argument. The book is reduced in this way to an island of thought on which the reader, if convinced, may build their future.
With systemic thinking, conversely, comes an ocean of ideas that is a medium for many currents of thought that give rise to endless tides of appreciation. It is a way of thinking that sets out to erode islands of thought and certainly cannot be reduced to one. So, I am unable to offer you a conclusion as such. Instead, I urge you to see the image on the front cover of this book. And I urge you to listen to the echoes and re-echoes passing between the covers of this book. Then you will see and hear, again and again, that:
  • We will not struggle to manage over things – we will manage within the unmanageable.
  • We will not battle to organise the totality – we will organise within the unorganisable
  • We will not simply know things – but we will know of the unknowable.
I find these three paradoxes of systemic thinking mightily thought provoking. If they were embraced by human kind, then surely we would witness profound changes in the way we conceive ourselves as a species on planet Earth and the way we handle ourselves in everyday life. And the amazing thing is that the kind of transformation I am talking about has no need for or call to a ‘religious conversion’, just a humble awakening to the realisation that really we don’t know very much about anything and actually never will."