PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OCU Numberplates
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2023, 13:59
Jetset 88

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
241 OCU
Reminisences.........In the year-long backlogged pilot wait of 1970/71, I spent it as the Adjt of 241 OCU at Brize. The Brits (99 & 511 Sqns) had just moved in from Lyneham and so their Air Training Sqn (ATS) joined 241 OCU, training not only VC10 crews but those destined for Britannias and also 53 Sqn with its Belfasts. Wg Cdr Eric Reeves was my delightful boss who allowed me umpteen trips gaining route experience on all types. Apart from learning much about the RAF's admin system whilst in the office from a most competent SAC clerk, I also sat in on 3 Ground School courses in some subjects.
That was before actually having to do the course itself which then ended with a Global Trainer eastabout in September 1970 before joining 99. Would have done the job until Squadron disbandment in Jan 76 for no money, as the job satisfaction was so high and enjoyable, especially after getting into the left hand seat whilst still almost in short pants aged just 27. Posted then to Belfasts but didn't even get to start the course. On Day 1 they announced that 53 was going too. Sad days. Hot summer of '76 was therefore spent in a tatty Mini going up and down the A1 to and from the CFS course, which had just moved from Rissie to Cranwell and Leeming.

Last edited by Jetset 88; 8th Dec 2023 at 14:09. Reason: typos