PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737NG Wing-body overheat on ground
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2023, 12:50
BraceBrace

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by +TSRA
Well, given that it was a discussion between instructor and student, and I've been an instructor and check pilot, yeah. I suppose it does come off that way. But I always look at these situations as though we're training Captains and future Captains on how to think problems through. I never talked about subsequent failures, just that the warning light can illuminate for different things other than, in this case, a bleed leak. While the MEL may not apply for the light in one case, it may in another and we don't know that until we talk to maintenance. When reading the first post, it struck me that the OP may not yet have had the experience where a straightforward situation is not straightforward at all, hence I suppose I did put more theory into my response.
Well I replied as a training captain...

The reality behind your theory is that the PIC has final authority. There is one thing you always have to keep in mind: it’s not because they say ’go’ it is that clear cut because you are sitting in the tube and you are responsible for your passengers/freight. They have authority to stop you from going, a simple solution we usually accept as it is safe. The problems arises when they say ’go’ and in those instances your new PIC needs learn to protect himself, or even stand up and say ’no’. That’s what I mean with the difference between theory and reality.