PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Luton-10
Thread: Luton-10
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2023, 12:25
ClearLand08

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LTNman
Security lanes are being reduced due to the government requirement to upgrade scanning equipment meaning less stops and searches and a much faster throughput with no 100ml liquid limit.

https://www.lutontoday.co.uk/news/pe...nology-4043749

There was also a tender out to remodel the security area.
These were already in use when I passed through the airport last week in the fast track lane and the one next two it. Definitely an improvement not having to remove anything from bags. However, I had some hand cream in the bag which flagged up on the scan. At the other side of the scanner the agent threw the small 50ml hand cream into smaller scanning machine which he said "tested it". He then told me it had "failed the test" and I couldn't have it back. So whilst the aim is to speed things up, but also ultimately to allow passengers to take more liquids in hand luggage it seems the risk of liquids being confiscated increases.

The other change introduced are the body scanners. Machines like the ones below are being installed. When I passed through last week there was actually a bit of a delay caused by these machines - possibly a combination of passengers being unfamiliar with them and also staff getting used to them.