PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructor Aspirations (UK vs USA)
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2023, 14:37
EXDAC

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
But wait, there's more -

There is no FAA requirement to hold a second class medical certificate to take the commercial or fight instructor flight tests. A third class medical, or Basic Med, is all that is required.

"(3) Must hold at least a third-class medical certificate—(i) When exercising the privileges of a private pilot certificate, recreational pilot certificate, or student pilot certificate, except when operating under the conditions and limitations set forth in § 61.113(i);

(ii) When exercising the privileges of a flight instructor certificate and acting as the pilot in command or as a required flightcrew member, except when operating under the conditions and limitations set forth in § 61.113(i);

(iii) When taking a practical test in an aircraft for a recreational pilot, private pilot, commercial pilot, or airline transport pilot certificate, or for a flight instructor certificate, except when operating under the conditions and limitations set forth in § 61.113(i); or

(iv) When performing the duties as an Examiner in an aircraft when administering a practical test or proficiency check for an airman certificate, rating, or authorization."

ref https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-1...pter-D/part-61