PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructor Aspirations (UK vs USA)
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2023, 13:58
EXDAC

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by bakerin
This is interesting, as far as I am aware you need a CPL for an FAA CFI, which requires a class 1 medical (which unfortunately I cannot get), so I don't see how you can fly commercially on a class 2, if it's the CPL license that requires a class 1. .
Where are you finding your information? I have been an FAA certificated flight instructor for nearly 40 years and I have never held an FAA class 1 medical. I did hold a class 2 when I was flying commercially (glider tow and jump aircraft)

FAA separates the requirements for instructing from the requirements to act as pilot in command. It is possible, and legal, to provide fight instruction in USA with no medical at all. The "student" will need to be qualified to act as pilot in command. E.g. an instructor with no medical could give tail wheel instruction, aerobatic instruction, and flight reviews in single engine aircraft as long as the "student" was rated private single engine and had a current medical (or Basic Med) and flight review.

Note that in USA the requirement for a medical is linked to the privileges that are being exercised, not to the level of certificate held. E.g. I'm rated commercial and CFII but I currently fly, and instruct, on Basic Med with no FAA medical certificate.