PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways Direct Entry Pilot
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2023, 09:44
RetiredBA/BY

Received 46 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Phantom4
Not so Sir,there are new hitmen who brief the stand in to make deliberate mistakes.
The previous mentioned ‘ Names’ include a Mid Eastern sounding name who employs these tactics and kicks the seat when he wishes to employ that tactic.
IMHO as a previous BTC, and STC,he should be reminded of his primary role as a TRAINER not a destructive force.
The Unions should ensure this ‘ Unsavoury Character’ not my words but a recipient of his recent behaviour is not considered for a Trainer Transfer to Long Haul where he can inflict more misery and damage.
If that is the case then its time to make a stand as I did back in 1975.I was down to do night recency on the VC 10 with a Captain being checked out as a training captain by a management captain.
He messed me about in a totally unacceptable way and in my view was most unprofessional if not downright rude.
He said my performance was not good enough and would have to be reflown.
I was furious and told him his shortcomings, politely but firmly. .
Expecting a p45 when the management captain invited me for a “chat”in his TBA office, I was told it was about time someone told him, he had failed the “would be” training captain and agreed with my comments. I dont think he pursued a training career, and fortunately I never encountered him on the line. !It would have been even worse than flying with captain G !
Re flying the trip a week later with a very pleasant TC , all went very well and I never encountered such nonsense again , at least not in BA! At an interview with Norman Todd he told me he had been through my training file I suspect that incident was never written up and certainly not held against me. Anyone inflicting pain and damage, or even unpleasantness, or having created a reputation as an unsavoury character, in training simply does not understand the objectives of the job , so perhaps its time to discuss such problems with BALPA or request a meeting with James Basnett, once head boy at my daughters school, Repton, and was introduced to flying with flight deck trip on a 737 with my best mate being the Captain on the flight !
Coffee finished !

Last edited by RetiredBA/BY; 7th Dec 2023 at 10:00.