PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The F-35 thread, Mk II
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2023, 09:42
t43562

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by ORAC
Stalled F-35 upgrades will delay next improvements, Wittman warns
Wittman said that deadline — more than a year late — is “very problematic, especially since we have a platform that we spent a significant amount of time and money on, and one that we know isn’t up to its full capability because of software inadequacies.”
Wittman said he’s not confident the Pentagon and Lockheed will be able to deliver on the latest mid-2024 deadline for TR-3.

“I want to be positive, but call me skeptical,” he said…..
Software problems of that level do sound rather typical of extremely poor planning and probably overselling. I can imagine the situation so well: every hardware bug becomes a problem for the software to fix. Theres limited RAM/performance and all the promised functions cannot quite be managed. There are multiple teams working on very complicated components and upon testing they don't quite interact together the way each group expected......etc etc etc. Ontop of that I'd not be too surprised if developers were told "it must be ready on this date" and they perhaps struggled with the courage to say "er....probably not" because that's not the right answer.
The following users liked this post: