PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 293 Sqn and Sgt J Lewis
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2023, 09:29
QuePee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W/O Slater and Sgt Lydford

Originally Posted by GrassRootsFlying
Hi.I am researching 1067480 James Alfred SLATER and wondered if you could confirm if he was the J A Slater who, along with Sgt Lydford, was captured during the rescue incident in late 1944 as detailed in Norman Franks book Chapter 7 flying Walrus L2223. I have had his RAF Long Service medal in my collection for some years after finding it on an Australian dealers catalogue.
Many thanks
David
Good morning GrassRootsFlying,

I have a little bit of digging on these two gentlemen and I believe that 1067480 W/O Slater is indeed the same man as referenced in Normas book. The reasons for saying this are as follows;

The ORB confirms the story and the names and ranks of the two airmen concerned
My fathesr diaries also confirm the basics of the story although he doesnt mention the names.
The monthly squadron Officers And Airmen Retuens show a rather indistinct reference to W/O Slater, copy below. It is very difficult to read but I think I can decipher the name and number.
W/O Slater 1067480 is recorded as being in a POW camp in Poland as is a Sgt Lydford. Unfortunately there is no record of the capture date.

Thats is all I have found so far, I will continue searching....just in case more info comes to light.

QP