PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The rear turret
Thread: The rear turret
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2023, 11:04
Geriaviator

Received 241 Likes on 75 Posts
Interesting info. Sorry I can't remember the detail as I was only a youngster at RAF Binbrook in 1948-51 and worshipped my father's friend Bob Nash, RCAF, who had flown two Lancaster tours and patiently drilled me each Sunday in the fully equipped cockpit of the old Lancaster used for dinghy/crash practice. He remarked one day that they often used emergency power for takeoffs, such were the bomb-fuel loads. (The Lancaster startup/taxi/takeoff drill was quite a showstopper at our kids' parties and other parents gave my mother a sympathetic look, today I would probably be sent for counselling.)

Bob remarked one day that some of his countrymen had a belly gun in place of the H2S cupola, though he preferred the navaid. Of course I couldn't understand the significance of either. With hindsight we know the Luftwaffe had an H2S homing device within a few months of its introduction so Allied crews were advised to use it for a few seconds only.

Re the 50 calibre turret above: I remember seeing these still mounted in Lincolns of 12 Sqn over a weekend following night flying exercises. The idea of mounted and unguarded guns would horrify us today. Most intriguing was the torch bulb mounted in the blast muzzle, with its lead down the inside of the barrel. Presumably it was linked to the trigger and the fighter would consider himself 'shot down' on seeing the bulb illuminated.

Last edited by Geriaviator; 6th Dec 2023 at 11:21.