PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK PA 28 Alps Fatal Inquest
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2023, 01:08
Mike Flynn

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
UK PA 28 Alps Fatal Inquest

Assistant Coroner David Manknell found that the family were tragically killed due to the lack of training and experience of the pilot.

Jonathan Goldstein, 50, was piloting the plane when it crashed into the northwest flank of the Hubschhorn mountain in Switzerland, the inquest was told.

Tragically, the aircraft was also carrying his wife Hannah, 36, and their daughter Saskia as it flew 2,200 feet below the recommended height through the Alps.

The Inner London South Coroner's Court heard the family took off in a single-engine Piper PA-28 Cherokee Arrow, making stops in Troyes, France, and Lausanne, Switzerland, ahead of flying to Italy.

Mr Goldstein, the pilot, had flown for a total of 365 hours by August 4, 2019, the inquest heard.

He took off from Lausanne at 9.43am and was flying at an altitude of 4,100 feet, travelling at 120 knots.I do find that a lack of training and experience in mountain flying contributed to the accident.At 10:23am, he turned right, towards the Simplon Pass, and two minutes later witnesses saw the plane hit the north face of the Hubschhorn mountain.

The aircraft impacted with the terrain at an almost flat altitude and the plane burst into flames.

Mr Goldstein was flying 2,200 feet below the recommended height through the Alps, but an investigation was unable to determine why.

It was a clear, sunny day, visibility was 70km or more, with a wind of eight knots, the inquest was told.

Assistant Coroner Mr Manknell said: 'He had limited experience in mountain flying and never received any adequate training.
'Overall, I find that the accident in which the pilot lost control at low altitude caused the stall.'

He added that the 'lack of anticipation caused the stall, which caused the crash.'

Mr Manknell said: 'It seems to me that I cannot find that it was grossly negligent and consequently criminal.

'There is no evidence that there is such deviation to what would be expected.

'Having considered it very carefully, it is not open to me to come to a conclusion of unlawful killing.

'I have also considered a short-form conclusion ... which is air accident.

Following the loss of three lives, Mr Manknell said he would write a recommendation to the Civil Aviation Authority that those with PPL (A) pilot licences should take necessary training to fly over mountains.
He added: 'It is my opinion that I do have a concern that future deaths could occur and that actions should be taken to prevent future deaths.'The training that Jonathan had was not appropriate for mountain flying.

'It seems to me that is certainly possible to be replicable. I therefore do make a recommendation, which I make to the CAA and I ask them to consider it.

'The recommendation will make clear that the PPL is less than is required in at least one other country.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...shed-Alps.html

Last edited by Mike Flynn; 6th Dec 2023 at 01:24.