PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mess Silver Store?
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2023, 20:38
ex82watcher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MPN11
At Watton in the early 70s, the PMC and I did a detailed check of the Silver Store, as the insurance was getting prohibitive for a small Mess. Amongst the ‘treasures’ were a couple of 17th c pewter plates! After consultation with Quedgley etc etc we were authorised to hold a Mess auction to dispose of a load of it, and return major items to the Depot. One classic was a silver tankard presented to mark the 100th EA shot down by 100 Gp, engraved with the crew’s details.

The haul also included a collection of 8 or so 1/2 pint silver tankards, presented as sharpend noted above, which we retained for the use of ladies! I wish I could remember the Sqn concerned, but 151 Sqn rings a tragic bell.
Shortly after I arrived at Eastern Radar(civil) at RAF watton,in 1982,there was a sale of mess silver.I didn't buy anything,but one of my colleagues bought a silver pint-tankard,which from the inscription,had been presented by the BBC to commemorate a TV programme that had been made there.I also seem to remember a silver model of a Bloodhound missile on its launcher,which used to adorn the table at dining-in nights.Wonder what happened to that ?