PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lufty at SFO
Thread: Lufty at SFO
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2023, 15:39
PukinDog

Received 22 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Request Orbit
Check Airman

That’s a statement by a pilot with an ATPL (apparently). Is that the level of understanding you’d expect to come across on a line check? Not trying to be snarky, but I’ve no idea if it’s common knowledge among pilots or not.
Since this was directed at me and of course not trying to be snarky, I'd expect a Controller (apparently) to know what restating a speed restriction/assignment when issuing an Approach clearance does for the Controller, and why it must be restated. Or do you believe that restating/issuing a speed restriction is not authorized if the approach happens to be a Visual? If it isn't, how come I've frequently received them? Is it because the Controllers also don't know their own rules?

All these years I thought when Controllers did that it was so they could retain control over my speed while on the approach after the Clearance already automatically cancelled whatever restriction I'd been assigned before. Retain control so Controllers could ensure I'd maintain any separation they'd established for me, or establish it if it wasn't yet, or adjust my speed to tweak spacing, that sort of thing. All those years I'd been following those restated speed restrictions on Visual approaches when, apparently, I could've just ignored them and self-positioned to my heart's content as if they'd never happened..

So next time I'm line checking someone and receive a Visual Approach clearance with a restated speed restriction and we're, say 10 miles in-trail of someone, if the pilot maintains or slows to the restriction I'll tell him "No No, speed at your discretion. You're cleared for the Visual so just haul ass until 3 miles in-trail. A UK Controller educated me on the the FAA rules re Visual Approaches, and we've been doing it wrong".

Last edited by PukinDog; 5th Dec 2023 at 16:12.