PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mess Silver Store?
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2023, 16:10
langleybaston

Received 756 Likes on 261 Posts
Originally Posted by dctyke
When I was posted to Halton with the imminent arrival of Airman’s Command Squadron they were just taking away a skip containing hundreds of books from the trenchard library. Whoever sanctioned that needed shooting. I just hope the first editions survived in some ownership.
<br /><br />There is hope. By Act of Parliament well back in Victorian days almost all UK publications not caveated have had to to have copies installed at what are colloquially known as the Copyright Libraries........ I personally benefited greatly from the Cambridge source, access to which is open to public view for research [after being introduced by two referees and after a form of vetting]. It is even permitted to make photocopies of most volumes. The library, as may be imagined, is vast. Car parking is not vast .........................<br /><br /><strong><span style="color:#202124;">he legal deposit libraries of the UK and Ireland are:</span></strong><br /><br /><ul><li>The British Library.</li><li>The Bodleian Libraries, University of Oxford.</li><li>Cambridge University Library.</li><li>National Library of Scotland, Edinburgh.</li><li>The Library of Trinity College, Dublin.</li><li>National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.</li></ul><br />