PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Venezuela poised to invade Guyana
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2023, 13:08
Lonewolf_50

Received 460 Likes on 289 Posts
For ORAC: heh, for once they "listen to their voters"
Vox populi!
Originally Posted by Ninthace
It is not just a question of what but also where. Without a carrier, the only option is to base your force in someone else's backyard. That requires quite a few please and thankyous these days.
Perhaps in Surinam? I recall working with a Dutch Air Force major years ago whose family was originally from there. Is there an air base there? NATO allies helping one another, perhaps?
Originally Posted by Jimlad1
I've crawled through a lot of papers on defence planning from 50s -70s and this scenario never once featured in planners assumptions for contingency planning. People seem to be moaning that we don't have the ability to intervene in a situation we've spent roughly 70 years assuming we wouldn't get involved in anyway...
Then again, the Americans in '83 had no plan for what to do about Grenada, and cobbled together an op plan in something less than four days. Yes, it was a lot closer to our homeland ... but I suppose it could be managed...with a little help from your friends.
Originally Posted by Ninthace
Is either yet in a position to deploy with sufficient and appropriate forces and with no support from other nations?
As Ringo Starr once intoned
: Oh, I get by with a little help from my friends"
- I think the US would probably offer some help to get a UK op up and running.
Biden doesn't have Obama's Anglophobic streak in him, and Maduro (like Chavez before him) is mostly a pain in the butt, foreign policy wise, for the folks in Washington.