PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Suitcases
Thread: Suitcases
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2023, 10:33
SpringHeeledJack

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
I think that I have decoded all the manufacturers so far on this thread, but agree, it would be easier to mention the maker and model (if possible). As always, quality and sturdiness comes with expense and weight and in these weight restricted times, you've often lost nearly 4kgs before nary a sock has been placed within said bag or case. I suppose that it makes you disciplined, but taking presents of non-clothing items becomes a real challenge. Out of interest, when did the modern day weight limits come into being ? I can't remember tbh, but must've experienced the change.

As mentioned, the 4-wheels are great in civil surroundings, but a portable large duffel (possibly with wheels) covers most situations. When I was travelling a lot, TUMI ticked a lot of boxes for me, although they didn't do hardshell cases back then. Reassuringly expensive and part signalling to others as one might do with clothing or a car etc. That Kevlar material was heavy, luckily I never had it's strength tested by some miscreant with a knife looking for valuables. Of late I have taken the cheaper solid case route bought in reputable department stores, sort of own-brand. You can feel that the quality is inferior to the well-known names, but at a fraction of the cost and so far........so good. For more 'off-grid' stuff, a large portable duffel that is waterproof. The French sports cahin Decathlon have several very decent bags, some with wheels. Only downside too large decals for my taste, but easy to see.