PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where do RAF pilots come from now?
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2023, 08:27
Flipster130

Received 27 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by steve757
George B?
NO - not him, the George B who I knew was an excellent instructor! He was the only one who could clearly explain the vagaries of the ADF needle and how my tracking could improve.... which he imparted with great aplomb over a beer and few fags - this nugget of info helped my academic flying no end and probably saved me a few years later, when doing a missed approach from Bardufoss (or somewhere similarly cold), which invloved tracking 2 NDBs up a steep sided-valley well-below SAlt in poor weather (without GPS in those days) and us watching the radalt out the corner of one eye with a lump in the throat.

However, there was another 'short scot' QFI around on the OCU - whom I feel lucky to have avoided flying with...so I can't comment directly - but certainly, his bad rep preceded him......Ken and Me (above) have the right idea as to identity. Glad to hear he may have mellowed.

As for Creamies - I flew with a few - both on the JP and in the Hawk. I cant think of a bad one. In fact, they were pretty good at the 'soft-side' of things, as they had been through the same mill/sausage-machine fairly recently and could relate to idiots like me having problems with High Technical Merit things at certain times. They were probably better than a lot of QWIs at the TWUs, (who had not been to CFS to learn how to impart knowledge) and who often reverted to the 'I can do it, why can't you?' ...or 'just fly better, man' approaches.

Once upon a time someone said

"There are no such things as a bad students, just bad instructors!"
or alternatively,
"You can teach monkeys to fly"
(of which I am an example)
F

Last edited by Flipster130; 4th Dec 2023 at 14:06.