PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB to probe Fedex/Southwest close encounter at Austin
Old 4th Dec 2023, 05:31
ATC Watcher
Pegase Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
On the time stamp from the R/T , when the take off clearance is given ( roughly 39.00 ) the FedEx is given as 3 miles out , so at 140 Kts you're doing 2,3 NM per min ,, anyone in this business knows that if you sit there and take one minute to release the brakes, the guy on finals is going to be too close. , The FedEx goes around at time 40:30 so roughly one and half minute later , so at 140 Kts it was exactly 3NM out when this started and 1,5 minute later it was right above the SWA when going around. Simple math.

Someone deserving a medal ? well the Fedex F/O happened to spot the SW and did call the go around. . Would the Capt see it later ,through his HUD ?.Doubtful , he said he did not see anything despite the EFVS. . So yes the F/O ( which the NTSB guy keeps calling "Roger" . like in the "Airplane" movie ) saved the day and everyone on board that SW should be thankful to him.
One point from the FedEx Capt interview : he said : " on 3-mile final. my initial response was an expletive like ; "What's he doing?" but he did not challenge it, and was apparently comfortable with landing with another one " further down the runway "

Regarding CAT III , the FedEx Capt said : " You know, I do assume that he's [the controller] on top of it, as well, but we did have some concerns from, you know, the critical area, you know, and not knowing what their rules are and I didn't know what the tower's rules were"
Too many people were assuming things tat day