PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Has CASA ever sent you correspondence you're sure you never received?
Old 3rd Dec 2023, 20:59
Clinton McKenzie

Received 255 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by gerry111
Clinton, I simply cc myself with all emails that I send. That provides some confidence that my email has indeed departed my system. Perhaps CASA could do something similar?
I'm not across the internals of these email systems, GIII. If the receipt of the CASA officer's 'self-cc' confirms that the email has actually 'left' CASA's 'email system', that would be an effective method of confirming the email has been sent. Of course, that method would not have the effect of confirming receipt of the email by addressee.

The 'bog standard' email system I'm using has options for emails I send to include 'Delivery Receipt' and 'Read Receipt'. If I 'tick' those boxes, I get a notification that my email has been delivered to the recipient's 'in' box (I assume...) and, if the recipient opens the email, a box pops up for the recipient to send a 'read receipt' to me. I don't understand why CASA cannot use those options in the subset of correspondence I'm talking about. Other agencies do. (As an aside, one of the fascinating aspects of dealing with different agencies is how many differing ways they deal with like circumstances.)

I understand it is impracticable, if not impossible, and of no benefit for CASA to confirm that every recipient has received every item email it sends. But in the small subset of cases in which the substance of the corro is that silence in response will be interpreted by CASA against the person's interests, and there is no reason for the person to ignore the correspondence (and there is the possibility that a 'glitch' in CASA's system might result in the email not being sent...), it's not a 'big ask' for CASA to use the 'Delivery Receipt' and 'Read Receipt' options and follow-up the even smaller subset of cases in which neither comes back.