PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB to probe Fedex/Southwest close encounter at Austin
Old 3rd Dec 2023, 17:26
DIBO

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
One can criticize NYT for their content, but NTSB... and proof-reading before publishing: "confirm your roll-in" (confirm you're rolling) / questioning about the HUD IR capabilities "It has EFIS" (It has EFVS) / "it's not a sea-to-land approach" / etc.

Originally Posted by Request Orbit
I’ve admittedly not read the pilot interviews, my impression from the initial reports and the ATC tapes is the FedEx pilot deserves a medal.
No medals me thinks, it was an experienced and professional FedEx crew that saved the day alright. But it was luck, and only luck that Met conditions allowed the F/O (and only the F/O) right at the very last moment to catch a glimpse of "a silhouette of the left wing". Fog layer any thicker or denser (as it was an hour later) and FedEx would have touched down. And luck, that the "SouthWest abort!" call by FedEx, was heard only by the SWA F/O, that their speed was well above 80, etc. so they continued. SWA slamming the brakes might well have turned this into a disaster. And that call also confused the TWR, who for a moment thought SWA was aborting, and thus gave the "roger, turn right when able". And in turn SWA acted upon it once airborne, while that was not intended by ATC. Additionally, SWA crew shallowing the climb-out profile, was also certainly improving separation.

Originally Posted by ATC Watcher
The SW pilots interview is comparatively much shorter and they got very easy questions compared to the controllers. 2 different treatments here. Not nice. . They did not pursue ....
Indeed, and neither any questions on why SWA in general are considered by ATC as always the fastest guys in town, "they churn and burn". And "United, no", "American, absolutely not" and "Delta, no way in hell". So, what's wrong with the big three? Or is SWA constantly pushing the (safety) limits? No questions asked so far, it seems.

Originally Posted by airplanecrazy
My confidence is restored. I have re-examined the data and believe the second video is +/- one second in audio timing that I received in an anonymous tip, and I believe that the aircraft are correctly positioned with respect to each other (within the limits discussed in the video description). Here are the audio times I am using:

12:38:48 southwest calls short of 18L
12:38:59 tower issues t/o clearance
12:39:14 southwest reads back t/o clearance
12:39:29 FedEx checks landing clearance
12:39:34 tower confirms landing clearance
12:39:40 FedEx Roger
12:40:10 tower checks if Southwest is on the roll
12:40:13 southwest on the roll
12:40:32 southwest abort
12:40:35 FedEx on the go

The flightradar24 granular data shows the roll starting at 2023-02-04 12:40:15Z. I will note that in my past experience, flightradar24 data timestamps are not always accurate (it depends on how well the time on the specific collector is synched).
One thing the timestamped R/T transcripts learned us, is that this video simulation was perfectly in sync with the actual R/T.