PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-HPUX accident just now
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2023, 14:16
SASless

Received 517 Likes on 215 Posts
Devil 49 has a valid point.

Let's take the MBB BO-105 Helicopter for example.....or say a Sikorsky S-58T with Dash 3 engines.....both of which I have flown and love dearly as they are icons in the Helicopter World.

Both had two engines...they both fly fine on two but when they revert to single engined helicopters they incur significant performance handicaps.

Take both of them to elevations and ambient temperatures that we all can agree would be "hot and high" and one is confronted with having reduce useful load weights if you stick to OEI limitations.

Reality is if you do so in utility work you shall soon go broke....financially. One should endeavor to be carrying that excess weight on the cargo hook otherwise the broke part might just be the aircraft and parts of you.

I was once offered a job flying a 105 on an EMS contract in a mountainous area of the East Coast....in the vicinity of where the highest mountain on the East Coast is located.

As I contemplated the wages offered and the idea of flying around in that mountainous area on hot summer nights I quickly realized the pay was not worth it....and politely declined the offer.

Even if you use the philosophy offered by Devil 49 which I would describe as the "Drift down to a run on landing somewhere"....you have to have two things to be successful at that....Height and a place within that glide down distance you can land on safely.

Yes...fly at a weight that affords you full single engine flight and two can be better than one....assuming one does not take out the other before you do on the4 landing....or you are confronted with what Devil 49 describes.

He is exactly right when he says the airframe is a reusable container to be used to safeguard the contents....you and the passengers.

I also suggest that helicopter engines are like Geese....they are life partners and one usually dies shortly after the other. (I suppose the CH-53E is an exceptions to that rule having three engines)

Either way....single or twin...following an engine failure you are going to have to land the helicopter....as there is not one in orbit yet. (well maybe on Mars perhaps).

The style and manner of landing depends on a lot of variables so trying to state with complete accuracy which has its advantage over the other remains a topic of debate.

I prefer the Two Engine kind myself.....but would not flinch to fly a four engine helicopter and hope the laws of probability were on my side of the equation.

I have had engine failures in both singles and twins....and found the twins to be far more a leisurely event.

One afternoon I did experience what amounted to a dual engine failure atop a pinnacle that prevented a landing from the hover that was a nearly religious event and not recommended to others.

What I see in the photo is an excellent bit of airmanship.....that helicopter landed in the spot it did between two road ways with high obstacles all around the landing spot.

The interesting part of this accident investigation will be the Pilot's account and an explanation why all those open areas were not possible landing sites.

The cause will be pretty straight forward as the aircraft and pilot are in pretty good shape.