PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where do RAF pilots come from now?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2023, 09:27
Gordomac

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Where do RAF pilots from now

Not sure if the thread opening question has been answered and I might have caused a drift by asking about "cremiers" although you lot seem to refer to them as "Creamies". Really interesting responses though and glad to see balance offered in the creamies debate.

The term suggests that these were really super bods with advanced skills in order to be 'creamed'. Glad to see that it is not the case. Indeed, on the Civil path to professional status, sometimes, the only route is through professional instruction. With a PPL, one would next progress to Assistant Flying Instructor at some grass field. It started the path on my disliked phrase "Self Improver".

My point is that you would have Instructors with around 100hrs total themselves.

I note that RAF Creamies would have around 400.

Civil aviation is littered with the wrong types illustrated by many on this thread. I'll offer as observation with my infamous humour;

My Airline ,at one point, had no idea how to "Train" but relished in "Testing" and enjoyed "Chopping" and destroying. Most, so-called "Instructors" were ex-mill and I often wondered if they were "Creamies". However, I was acting LHS for new joiner who decided in a coffee break where other individuals from the Training Department were present to, er, brown-nose,a bit. He went on & on about how good the training was and how good the trainers were. I responded;

"Mate. 'Training'-? Have you noticed all 'Trainers ' in this company look exactly the same ? They all have hunched up shoulders and swept back foreheads. There is a reason. If you ask them a question, they hunch up their shoulders. When you tell them the answer, they smack their own foreheads.

Went a bit quiet and I had a very hard annual Line Check some months later.
The following users liked this post: