PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructor Aspirations (UK vs USA)
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2023, 04:11
rudestuff

Received 36 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by bakerin
Hi rudestuff, while the possibility of marrying and getting my green card sounds great, it's not necessarily something I'd want to rely on, although it is probably the best way. I noticed you mentioned being a jet pilot in my early 20s but is that even possible with a Class 2? Even with the FAA Class 2 I'm unsure what you can and cannot fly commercially. I suppose after doing my flight instructor training I could try apply for jobs and that could help me obtain a visa, what do you think?

Also any way I could marry someone with a prenuptial agreement and have absolutely no affiliation to them but be legally married? lol
In the UK/Europe you'll need a class one for any kind of commercial work. You can get away with a class 2 for flight instruction but that's about it.
The US has 3 classes of medical and you can fly commercially on a class 2. You'd only need a class one to exercise the privileges of an ATP certificate, which is required to be a multi crew captain. (Simplified)
The reality is you'd probably get an FAA class one quite easily as it's just a basic eye test.
Right now there isn't a sponsored visa route into the US for pilots, but that could change. A prenup will cover your assets but you'll need to live with and poke it in her a few times im afraid 😜 - The Feds will spot a sham marriage pretty easily, and anyone daft enough to write it down on paper would probably end up up arrested/in prison/deported. What you can do is legally come to the end of your visa and apply for another one just before it runs out, which will by you a few more months/years.