PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - L3 Harris sale of Aviation sector impact on cadets
Old 2nd Dec 2023, 06:19
Planner01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi GTpilotmumma, I completely understand about wanting the integrated course for focus. You can do modular full time near exactly the same way as with an integrated course. You can do a full time residential ATPL ground school as well for that stage of the training. A quick phone call to a local school for PPL and they'll be more than happy to take him on full time and this will be the same for each stage of training. The benefit is if you aren't happy with the service you are getting at any stage, you can go elsewhere. Any decent school will be happy for you to pay as you go i.e. after each lesson.

A big benefit of modular I don't see mentioned enough is that after the first stage (PPL) you will be a licenced Pilot whereas on an integrated course, you don't get a licence until the very end. Full time PPL can be done in a few weeks and then you can jump straight into the ATPL theory course and fly to build hours at the weekend, while guys who started an integrated course at the same time will still be in the classroom without a single flying hour logged! You can make modular hour building interesting too by getting other ratings like aerobatics and seaplane (Cessna on floats) up in Scotland, or just by flying across the continent.

I was in pilot recruitment for years before becoming one myself. With a stack of CVs all with CPL ME/IR and 200 hours, the ones that stood out were modular guys who built hours getting other ratings and flying exciting aircraft. I remember one guy in particular really stood out because he got an IMC (now IR(R)) rating during hour building and was on just over 200 hours with something like 70 hours single pilot IFR and he was light years ahead of others.