PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - S211 Down Port Phillip Bay
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2023, 01:28
josephfeatherweight

Received 60 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by MMSOB
I very rarely post, and do not engage in 'tit for tat' exchanges. However, I feel obliged to comment on this crash, given that in my relative youth I spent an awful lot of time in close proximity to multiple fast jets (and moreso than simply being in the gaggle during visual RTB manoeuvres). No, I was not a Macchi Rouletter.
I am quite surprised that no-one with a mil background has mentioned the Mayday Relay option; aircraft A transmitting on behalf of aircraft B, in distress. Had I been in the boots of the unfortunate Viper 1, I suspect my initial call would have been along these lines:
"Mayday relay, mayday relay, mayday relay. Viper 1 and Viper 2 mid-air collision. Viper 2 appears to have impacted the water. Viper 1 suspect only minor damage my aircraft. Standby for further."
This is not meant as any criticism of Viper 1's actions. I am not a party to the Kangaroo Court.
Have flown a few hours in (RAAF) military formation (as a student and instructing) and have never heard the R/T phrase "Mayday relay..." - I reckon I would have transmitted pretty much the same as Viper 1 - he's calling a Mayday on behalf of the formation.
If I saw ANOTHER aircraft spud into the water, even if it was not a member of my formation, my radio call would commence with "Mayday, mayday, mayday."
I'm pretty sure this is covered somewhere earlier in the thread, where it says that the call "Mayday" is to transmit emergency information relating to an extremely serious situation where loss of life is imminent or expected (not the exact words, just the thrust of it) - it doesn't have to be for the aircraft transmitting.
Having said that, "Mayday relay" also makes sense - just haven't heard of it...

EDIT - AIP says this:
MAYDAY: My aircraft and its occupants are threatened by grave and imminent danger and/or I require immediate assistance.
I read this as, "OR I require immediate assistance to assist another aircraft that just splashed into the water."

Last edited by josephfeatherweight; 2nd Dec 2023 at 01:51.
The following users liked this post: