PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The rear turret
Thread: The rear turret
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2023, 13:10
Sue Vêtements

Received 312 Likes on 146 Posts
The rear turret

Good job this isn't a thread on JetBlast!

I was watching an excellent walk-through yt video of a Lancaster in the RAAF museum I think [1] and they showed the ammunition bins placed near the cg of the aircraft (I hadn't thought about that requirement, but yes it makes sense) and also the raceways to take the ammunition from there to the rear turret. My question is: How did they feed the ammunition into the rear turret?

If it was a fixed position that would be a fairly simple task, but given that it could rotate left and right, it must have required something to stop the belts being stretched or compressed and possibly jaming. Maybe they went down (or up) and came into the turret through the central pivot point, but that seems pretty awkward too.

Also there was a set of doors in the aft fuselage (not the turret doors) that could be closed. Was that a fire door? Seems like it was extra weight, so must have been important

Finally (and this is perhaps a silly question) if you look at the greenhouse, it extends way past the cockpit area, in fact over the Nav and radio operator positions I think. It looks like the back part of the greenhouse is a big shelf, but one that if you put anything on it, would be very difficult to retrieve. It just seems like an unusual design and maybe a smaller greenhouse (like the Stirling) or blanking off that area with a wall or a net. Stuff must have got stuck up there. Why was it built that way?

[1] If you're interested: