PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southampton-3
Thread: Southampton-3
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2023, 10:27
Accura

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sotonsean
The amount of coach transfers direct from the Port of Southampton to LHR often far exceeds the amount of domestic connections as listed above as many of those are multi drop. The LHR coach transfers often have passengers connecting with the British Airways flights to Manchester.

Don't underestimate the importance of the cruise business at the Port of Southampton and also the relevance of a direct air link from Manchester to Southampton Airport.

I can assure everyone reading this post that there is definitely a demand for a resumption of a direct air link between Manchester and Southampton. (I hear it a lot).

I know that Eastern Airways previously reconnected a link between Southampton and Manchester, but the route was not reliable, and the prices were extortionate. Cruise passengers were not going to put their trust and money with Eastern Airways in getting them to Southampton join their cruise.

The route is not a failure, and it absolutely astonishes me that it remains unserved. Although it used to be a popular route with Flybe, not everyone using it was on business. A Southampton to Manchester route caters to different and large markets, for business, leisure, and also for visiting friends and family. I used to use the route fairly often and found it far more convenient than driving and, without a doubt, far more convenient and relaxing than the rail connection.

Some have suggested dedicated air charters to Southampton. This is not an option. Operating weekly air charters to the likes of Barbados, Malta, Palma, etc, for passengers joining their cruise is a lot different than operating similar air charters to Southampton. A perfectly timed schedule is what is needed with preferably up to two or three or even four daily flights.

So, Loganair, please can you announce a resumption of a link between Manchester and Southampton in 2024. I personally don't believe in Christmas, but if I can just ask for one thing, I'd really appreciate it 👍

If by any chance that know one from Loganair reads the above well, the request then goes to easyJet.
Really interesting and insightful post. I was a regular user of the MAN-SOU service (usually two return trips per month) before Eastern axed the route in May. As we were getting nearer to the peak cruise season in the summer, the service was getting busier and busier. Sadly Eastern decided to axe it and instead set up the Paris Orly route, so we'll never know how well it would have performed over the summer, in arguably in the first year since Covid that the cruising sector has near fully recovered. Despite Eastern's poor track record (I experienced some crazy delays - including one slightly surreal one where we were the delayed by 5 hours, to the point where we the very last departure of the day out of Manchester!) it was still a very useful service, even at once per day - still much easier than getting the train. And cheaper. The fares that Eastern charged (usually ranging from £50-£90) for a one way trip were still much cheaper than the train.

I absolutely despair at getting the train now. It takes half the day, and is absolutely extortionate. This morning I've booked a work trip to the south coast for 3 days in a couple of weeks - the train has cost £240 return and takes over 5 hours. I very nearly travelled by air via Belfast! It was pretty much as quick and half the price. Only issue was a tight layover in Belfast. I am going to need to be down on the south coast more next year, so I'm praying that Loganair pulls a rabbit out of the hat.