PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reading to Coventry Drone Superhighway
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2023, 09:35
Andrewgr2

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ETOPS
Think I might have spotted a problem..

Notwithstanding they mean "height" these routes are right through the open airspace currently used by myriad forms of aviation. How are current aviators going to protect themselves from the sudden appearance of these small aircraft when say lifting off in a helicopter, landing out in a glider or operating from a private airstrip?
The ‘beacons’ might just spot the glider landing in a field. They would stand no chance of seeing the glider winch launching or the winch rope that might be stretching up to 2000’. When I first heard about this scheme I looked at how many air activity sites there were marked on the chart between Reading and Coventry and how far these drones would have to deviate if they were to stay, say, 1.5 miles clear of any of them. I reckoned that they would have to go around 20 miles off the published track. I picked 1.5 miles as the distance at which an approaching or departing aircraft could be below about 500’. I don’t think the backers of these schemes have any concept of what happens in the lowest airspace. Will the beacons detect the difference between a flock of birds and a heavy shower? I doubt it. And how about the clutter generated by vehicles screening the low flying aircraft- or other drone?