PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - S211 Down Port Phillip Bay
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2023, 06:18
itsnotthatbloodyhard

Received 70 Likes on 29 Posts
So you've made up a scenario where there is no alternative.

Well then congratulations, clearly you have no alternative (because you made it up that way) but to go into Sydney 16R carrying damage.
No, I didn’t, and I’m quite disappointed that you never considered Canberra or even Nowra. The Monday morning quarterbacks are going to be all over that, and the fact that you’ve gotten into this mess over what started out as only a turbulence encounter or a possible birdstrike.

What I’m trying to get across is that it may be impossible to ever be completely certain that your airframe is not compromised in some way, even though your argument is based on requiring that certainty. Generally we’ll assess and accept that risk, on the basis that we have no reason to believe that it is compromised (you only had a possible bird strike after all, so I reckon you’ll be fine to continue onto 16R ). In the case of the S.211, the pilots may very well have had no reason to believe that the airframe was structurally compromised - impossible as that may be for you to believe. I simply don’t know, and nor do you.