PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southampton-3
Thread: Southampton-3
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2023, 13:58
SouthernAlliance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adfly
It is good to see some of the 'promised' developments coming to fruition, even if it is on a small scale for the time being. Even with BA cutbacks the difference in aircraft size alone means the introduction of easyJet represents a fairly significant increase in capacity to the likes of Alicante, Faro and Palma. I'm a little less sure on the domestic routes, probably a feeling that has shared by some on here. I hope for the Glasgow route there is a happy medium where Loganair can operate a frequent and consistent service aimed at business travellers and easyJet will fly a ~daily service directed at leisure traffic, and likely also filling a gap for an out-based aircraft, hopefully without trashing the yields of their competitor too much. As has been seen at the likes of Birmingham with easyJet, as soon as there is no competition on a domestic route it seems to slip well down their list of priorities.

It's a tricky situation for the airport, as they have to balance incentivising easyJet to start routes and grow at the airport, without risking decimating their existing airline portfolio. Indeed I do hope that the 'Flybe effect' remains fresh in the minds of the people in charge, as it would be a real shame to see the airport being too reliant on a single airline again. For what it's worth, I'm in the camp that believes that there won't be an easyJet base at Southampton anytime soon, but I am optimistic that an increase in non-based flying will result if the current routes perform well.

Regarding the Belfast route, I'm a little more optimistic about this one. Aer Lingus Regional compete with easyJet on many of their Belfast City - UK routes, mostly indirectly with easyJet flying to International. There should be a clearer balance of the 'value' easyJet option and the more business oriented (in schedule and arrival airport) Aer Lingus one. I expect the economics of flying an ATR 72 vs a 319/320 also stack up a fair bit better than even a fully paid off ERJ145!

Regarding the return of the Manchester route, it appears from the Manchester S24 ACL report that Loganair hold slots for 2x daily flights throughout the season. I guess we will see if this comes to anything soon...

https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrI...I0NWQwYjY3YiJ9
Further to my post #2454 and the above slots listed for LM MAN x 2 daily, that could also yield circa 50k pa in pax numbers, add that to the 900k previously predicted plus Sept 24 - Dec 24 EZY seats and the magical 1m barrier looks very likely with the airport I would suggest well on its way to break even!