PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MD530F or Bell 505 for personal use
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2023, 11:22
Fun_police

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have time in all of the types being discussed with the exception of the 505.

If you are looking to go somewhere with passengers the 530 isn’t really a practical choice without adding external provisions for baggage (rec. gear etc) which will in turn just slow you down and with the 530’s thirst and limited range will cost you time with either additional fuel stops or limit you in distance. A 206 L (3 or 4) would be a good choice but 4’s are thirsty as well. They are smooth with reasonable performance and in Montana during the summer would probably stack up reasonably well.

No one has mentioned the AS350B2 which is a bit of a surprise to me because they are a good performer with a huge fuel tank and pretty decent hot/high performance, comfortable, quiet, tough as nails, and reliable if looked after. There are quite a few AD’s on the Astar but the 407 has lots too. (You have maintenance in mind…?) One draw back of the 407 is that it has the same basic airframe luggage provision as the 206 series, so if your not going to add a basket (slows you down too) your stuck with traveling light. An Astar (with cheeks especially) can carry lots of stuff. I’m not very well versed in prices of aircraft because I fly for a living and therefore cannot afford one but I suspect that the 350B2 is pretty “reasonable” because they’re no longer in production and everyone wants B3’s now. If passenger comfort is a consideration too, you can’t beat an Astar with their great views from all seats, no one faces aft, heating and demisting that works, and seats that one can argue are designed for human beings to sit in rather than anything Bell has to offer (again I don’t know what the 505 is equipped with).

Good luck in your search! It’s always fun to spend other people’s money!

fp