PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where do RAF pilots come from now?
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2023, 08:58
Gordomac

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Where do RAF pilots come from now

Matching up "Needs of the Service" (constant variable) and Selection Performance (can become pretty steady) can become impossible.

I too went through OASC Biggin. They had a pre-selection assessment for those still at school with no 'O' levels. The prospect was to tell you whether or not you would likely,or not, succeed in the full selection programme. I failed. What they didn't tell you is that no further application was permitted until a period of two years expired. Penalty, wrongly applied to to an indicator assessment.

Up I went two years later but for Cranwell when it was the Acadamy for General List. Through part 1, I asked how I had done in the aptitude section and was told "Yes for pilot, no for Nav".

I was successful but offered Nav ! I declined.

I won a National Promotional Scheme for free PPL. Told the RAF and they asked me to write in again once I got my PPL. Did that and was offered Direct Entry Commission, pilot. But, Type C gone gone type B meant Service to 38 with option to terminate after 8 or 12 years.

Got me haircut, tried to get fit, listened to retired Sqd Leader up the road, practiced making my bed with hospital corners. Ready. MOD wrote and said Type B was cancelled and it would be for type A. -No termination option-. I declined and remained a Loader at LGW and started to build hours.

Civil College of Air Training, for BOAC/BEA had the same problems with matching. Never got it right and the whole system was binned years later.

Lastly, what on earth was the "Creamer" programme all about ? Pass OASC, Pass EFT and, was it there that one was so talented that you were "creamed" to become an Instructor yourself with, about 100 hrs total under your belt.

Tough call matching requirement with applicants as I discovered as a Selector in the Civil world.