PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - S211 Down Port Phillip Bay
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2023, 04:57
itsnotthatbloodyhard

Received 70 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by georgeeipi

As for "we're way off topic", there are a lot of aviators on this thread suggesting we shouldn't consider the scenario of this thread because it is a criticism of a perfect pilot.
​​​​​…
Or have I missed something and the new norm for aviators is they are perfect heroes and so any critique needs to be cancelled? Sounds like the opposite of CRM.
No, I think what you’re missing is not that people should think the pilot was a perfect hero and can’t be criticised. It’s the fact that people who are unfamiliar with the aircraft type, unfamiliar with that type of flying, weren’t there at the time, and have no idea exactly what those pilots experienced (either during the collision or subsequently) feel entitled to repeatedly question and criticise those pilots’ actions (while disingenuously denying questioning or criticising), while having absolutely no idea what options and thought processes were actually in play at the time.

By all means wonder if Avalon might’ve been a good option and if it was considered. No problem with that, it’s a reasonable discussion, as long as we keep in mind that there’s a huge amount we simply don’t know. But go back and look at the substance and tone of Wet Compass’ posts. That’s the sort of thing people are taking exception to. (And don’t get me started on the ridiculous nonsense about the Mayday call.)
The following 6 users liked this post by itsnotthatbloodyhard: