PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - S211 Down Port Phillip Bay
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2023, 02:24
georgeeipi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by megan
The big fellas drop stuff on the suburbs as well up to and including engine pods, most damaging was a 747 shedding two pods then the airframe crashing into a block of apartments resulting in a large death toll, should ALL aircraft be banned from over flying the suburbs on that basis? More to worry about is a motor vehicle parking in your bedroom, happens on a regular basis.Particularly when that command decision produces an outcome of no consequence, I can't believe the Avalon discussion going on here, I'd expect better from experienced aviators - sorry.
Have a look at the FAA's aircraft type certification process and perhaps some of the risk-assesment processes described by ICAO. The aircraft type certification process attempts to catch out things like engines falling off airplanes. If, however, an engine does fall off then there's usually an investigation to prevent that happening again. And all of those safety systems require the pilot to be doing their best to prevent an accident from happening.
An airplane that has been in a midair would probably not comply with the airworthiness standards that it's type certification was based on. Then it is up to the PIC to take that into consideration, and if there is an option that can avoid flight over built-up areas then the PIC better have a good reason for not taking it. In the case in this thread, the PIC got away with it. But that doesn't mean we collectively as professionals cannot be considering the alternatives. I can't believe that experienced aviators want to shut down such a conversation.