PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA f/os Wanting GSS commands
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2004, 18:09
EICAS-GP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hand Solo

'Incidentally, less than 50% of GSS pilots are BALPA members.'

Well, its not really surprising since:-

1/ BALPA is the driving force behind the blatant theft of their commands - ironic that this battle is not against an employer, but against one's union!.
2/ BALPA has failed totally to offer their members in GSS any effective represention to counter the decimation of their careers in GSS
3/ BALPA has totally endorsed the 'bully-boy' tactics of the BACC to steal commands from GSS F/Os
4/ BALPA is dominated by the BACC and, sadly, the pilots in GSS see no evidence that this would change even if they were 'recognised'.

For these reasons, GSS pilots are not rushing to join BALPA [and who can blame them] - in fact many existing members are leaving and getting a 1% pay rise. Sadly this fails to compensate the F/Os who are now faced with forgoing the substantial payrise that they could have reasonably expected upon upgrade.

'..... but I suspect its stretching credulity to claim that the entire GSS pilot body will display open hostility towards the secondees as that would be both immature and unprofessional.'

Don't bet on it - there is a lot of genuine anger in GSS, and not just amongst the pilot work force. Professional we will try to be - that goes without saying - but the BACC have placed the BA secondees in an invidious position. Just think how you would feel working with a stranger, an interloper, who had just caused you to lose a £20K+ rise rise? But no doubt, GSS pilots will try to adhere to the maxim - 'don't get mad, get even'. After all, GSS pilots are the victims of the bullying tactics of the BACC and have right on their side.

' No new contract means no third aircraft means no new commands. New contracts means new commands for GSS pilots.'

I wish it were as simply as that. Quite a few commands will be generated in house by the ex BA and ex Cathay Captains reaching retirement age - nothing to do with the third freighter.
In fact, it is my understanding that even if the contract for the third freighter is not renewed in May, the BA secondees remain!
Also, threats have been made by the BACC to take ALL commands in GSS commands in the near future.

How unreasonable can you get?

Finally - and this may come a surprise, although I fundamentally disagree with your arguments, may I compliment you Hand Solo on the tone of your posting. It is refreshing to read a posting from a BA PPRuNer that is polite, well argued and devoid of emotional, arrogant, OTT, claptrap.

Thank you
[