PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US Flight Instructor relocating to UK
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2023, 09:25
Genghis the Engineer

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Dazmundo
Thanks all. My transfer is now confirmed so looks like I will be the other side of the pond sometime in June 2024. I guess if I'm doing BRFs for UK CAA pilots with FAA licenses, I'm all set to go as they would be PIC, right? Therefore I wouldn't need an valid UK medical etc.?

I plan to convert my licenses etc asap, but would love to at least start on BFRs so I don't get rusty and get to enjoy the British countryside from 3000 feet :-)

Darren
There's a vibrant online flying community in the UK. Many facebook groups, the Flyer Forums, the Light Aircraft Association with it's regional struts. Lots of UK pilots have FAA certificates, so just dial into the local community. Lots of airfields and flying clubs in and around Oxfordshire.

BUT, you need a UK licence and medical to fly as an instructor or examiner in UK airspace. You can't start doing BFRs, or any other instruction, before you've done that. The good news is that you do not however need a professional licence - it's fine to instruct on a PPL, and be paid for it. What you might consider is doing a CRI qualification - Class Rating Instructor; there's no direct equivalent to this qualification in FAAland, but it's only a 1ish week course and single skill test (checkride) with a minimum of five flying hours. It would permit you to instruct already qualified pilots (no ab-initio instruction), and that would certainly make it legal for you to fly people's biennials - indeed you could combine that with the similar UK requirement for pilots who are dual rated, as most Brits with FAA licences are.

G