PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cornwall heritage museum selling off aircraft to scrap the VC10 and BAC111
Old 29th Nov 2023, 07:49
Krystal n chips
Thought police antagonist

Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Received 130 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by SpringHeeledJack
The sad, but simple truth is that most people in the UK just aren't that interested in aircraft, only will it get them to their chosen destination safely and comfortably. Museums are for the afflicted and there's just not enough of us. Even well visited museums struggle to keep external exhibits in good nick over the years. In light of the situation at Newquay, I'd just be happy that any of the larger exhibits will find new homes elsewhere, even if it means incomplete airframes such as with the 1-11.
That pretty much sums matters up really. As you say, most of the public are familiar with civilian types, but less so with getting close to military types, and the UK wx helps complete the corrosion cycle with ease.

I do think, that, when it comes to heritage, the UK seems to prefer ruins / former stately homes and gardens to technology.

As an aside, the heritage rail sector, possibly more prominent in the publics minds than aircraft, is also becoming affected albeit this is due in no small part to a combination of complacency / demographics / costs / cultures and regulatory oversight enforcement.

On a positive note, at least the diners will be spared the sound of two clattering / whining Speys to accompany their meal