PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The effect of cumulative helicopter flight time on the human body
Old 29th Nov 2023, 05:58
tcamiga

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Interesting post. My two bobs worth as am now still flying as a CPLH about 200 hrs a year at 75 as passing medicals and enjoying it as much as when the adventure started in 1968.

No apparent internal physical issues so far at nearly 24K hrs but skin cancers have been problematic probably due to early exposure as a kid compounded with 55 yrs in the bubble.

Regular skin checks have found a couple of melanomas I didn't know were there and which were removed in time to then not be a problem.

Hearing probably held as I would wear ear plugs all the time when possible as the old SPH4 was a noisy helmet in the early days.

Didn't like visors as they were a layer which reduced sharpness and light slightly when working low looking for things - riveted a peak on the helmet to keep eyes in the shade. No glasses for reading or distance as yet!

Back related stuff - I'm 5ft 6 and have kept exactly the same weight since 20 yrs old - except some of it is now in different places. Have always made the effort to do some sort of physical excercise no matter where in the world I've been - even as simple as walking around the LZ a few times. Have never done weights etc except tipping fuel barrels onto their end etc and if there is a chance to pump fuel in I take it. Probably because of these things i've been able to keep mobility and even now can still run no probs using a descent set of running shoes.

Lucky enough not to get AIDS - avaition induced divorce syndrome - after an amazing 51 years with a very understanding lady and family.

I think I've been lucky

Question - before I forget - a couple of us following this post realise we know of zero high time heli pilots who have or had dementia. As our mob isn'tt the most intelligent beings, we are thinking its probably because the continous high level brain activity associated with our profession when flying may have helped. Would be interested in anyother views on this.

Fly Safe and enjoy life
The following 2 users liked this post by tcamiga: