PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Runway Controllers and the Runway Caravan
Old 28th Nov 2023, 20:51
POBJOY

Received 79 Likes on 27 Posts
Mystery Hangar Loot

Originally Posted by chevvron
These 'original' caravans were eventually replaced by a 'new build' towed variant built in the '80s specifically for Air Cadet ops and used for both winch launched and SLMG units. The batteries were kept charged by a small wind driven fan.
Some of these were withdrawn and ended up as surplus and sold in about 2016 but rumour is that somewhere in a hangar there are some brand new ones which have never been used along with some brand new winches.
http://www.airfieldresearchgroup.org...unway-caravans
Come on Chev give us a clue, a MB Winch would be great, plus any crated MB Jeeps.
On my first ever visit to Halesland in 1066 (1965) there was a MB 'Wilde' twin drum winch in use, but in the small hangar there lurked a brand new condition V8 Balloon winch which of course had been the original equipment for schools. It was immaculate (not a scratch) and never used. I was a staff cadet on my next visit and had determined to rescue the said equipment and get it out on the field, alas it had gone. Do you know anyone who could use a slightly tatty Dart 15 !!! PM