PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where do RAF pilots come from now?
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2023, 16:07
Bob Viking

Received 554 Likes on 152 Posts
Location, Location, Location.

It would appear there is a familiar theme developing. It seems many Air Forces struggle from with same problem. Location.

It is never considered by those in charge but it plays a huge factor in the recruitment of a generation that are far better informed than their predecessors. I include my generation in that before anyone things I’m slinging mud unnecessarily.

In Canada very few students wanted to go FJs when I was there. They didn’t want a life in Cold Lake or Bagotville. Omani students don’t all want a life in Thumrait or Adam. And now Brit students seemingly don’t want a life of Norfolk, Lincolnshire or Northern Scotland. Such things can be a tough sell. And being moved around just exacerbates the problem.

​​​​​​​Let’s also remember that FJ flying is not screaming around at low level and dropping old school bombs any more.

Aside from whatever reasons may be cited, what else does Chinook have that other fleets don’t? Odiham. Stability at one base and close to the hub that is London.

Youngsters nowadays face a real struggle to ever put down roots and get on the housing ladder. 10-20 years in the military just doesn’t seem like the solution that it once did. Especially since the housing offer and additional benefits have been eroded so significantly.

When I came out of training I’d have gladly gone wherever I was sent. And then bought a house. If I were coming out of training now the choice of location would come above the choice of aircraft. A sad reality for many.

BV
The following 10 users liked this post by Bob Viking: