PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where do RAF pilots come from now?
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2023, 19:33
beamer

Received 68 Likes on 26 Posts
Where do RAF pilots come from now?

I was asked a question of the other day about the source of RAF pilots and being of a certain age, I had to say I had no idea !

The gist of the query was where non-fast jet pilots actually emanated from. When I was going through, the RAF was of a size that those that fell by the fast jet wayside were, having reached an acceptable stage of training, offered the opportunity to go multi-engine or rotary. Obviously the Service was a lot bigger in those days, Cranwell, Linton and Fenton for the JP as an example and of course there were far more helicopter and multi-engine types in the inventory. Now, we have a much smaller Service and if reports are to be believed, the intake of what we used to call GD/P recruits are far fewer on the ground notwithstanding that it seems to take an inordinate length of time to actually reach a fast-jet squadron. So, to summarise, are there enough ‘drop-outs’ from fast jet training to provide the necessary numbers of new pilots for the multi/rotary fleets or maybe pilots stay longer in role with less incentive to rush off and join the airlines at the first opportunity.

Sorry if that’s all a bit long winded but answers on the proverbial postcard would be appreciated.