PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best flight school?
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2023, 17:38
WindyTurtle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
https:// careers.ba.com/job/ crawley/ newly-qualified-pilot-pathway/22348/56253314176

(remove the 3 spaces. not sure if links are allowed so i put them in)

This vacancy is for Qualified Pilots who have completed their training via a modular or integrated course at any ATO. Do not apply for this vacancy if you completed all aspects of ATPL Ground School, CPL/IR and APS MCC at one of the 5 Whitetail ATOs.

To be considered for our current vacancies you will need:
  • 85% ground school average with no more than three resits
  • First-series CPL & IR pass (Series 1, Attempt 1 or Series 1, Attempt 2)
  • APS MCC
  • Attended no more than 3 training providers for the following phases of training: Ground School, CPL/IR and APS MCC
  • To hold a UK CAA Class 1 medical and meet British Airways medical criteria
  • ELP ICAO Level 6
  • A valid passport (with minimum of 12 months before expiry date) allowing unrestricted worldwide travel
  • Detailed requirements are listed on the job description

It's only for select components. By 5 'Whitetail ATOs', those are their chosen schools: L3Harris, Leading Edge (talk of money issues but no way of knowing), Skyborne, FTEJerez (very well rated and in south Spain), and CAE (had some sticky situations recently from what I'm aware). It's come to light that you can't even trust the big 'pilot-factory' schools entirely so do your research before paying anything, and ideally go modular if you're worried about this investment.

I know you didn't ask but since you're located in Ireland: I spoke to AFTA at a careers event and they said that due to another Irish flight school going bankrupt a few years ago, the Irish aviation authority were really embarrassed and have since ensured that all Irish schools have financial checks every x months (i think 6 months) to ensure that they are able to deliver the training that students pay for. Obviously this is just what they said, but I'm sure you can ask AFTA for paper proof. They have great reviews and have a few mentored programmes if those interest you. Not the cheapest (and actually their integrated is cheaper than their modular) but they seem like a safe option (and one I would probably choose now if I had the money today, even despite the Cork weather).