PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Modular V Integrated (Merged) - Look here before starting a new thread!
Old 27th Nov 2023, 06:06
rudestuff

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by WindyTurtle
so after the IRR/CBIR, you hold an Instrument Rating, right? And once you've done the MEP and then the CPL, do you then have to do an MEIR, or is that just an abbreviation for both the MEP and IR ratings that you wouldve already done? Airlines want a MEIR and CPL so just checking. Chees rudestuff.
PPL first, CPL last. You can do everything in between in any order you like, but there is an optimum. IRR is 15 hours (it's also called IMC) it's basically an 'IR-light' which allows you to fly IMC , build 15 IFR hours then do a 10 hour course to 'top-up' to a full SEIR (40 hours total) Or a 15 hour course for MEIR (45 hours total) if you prefer. The SEIR to MEIR conversion minimums are 2 hours and 3 Sim, so it's obviously significantly cheaper to get SEIR first. There is also a fully taught version of the CBIR where you do 40/45 hours, and obviously schools will try to sell you the most expensive one.

Your PPL and its' SEP class rating allows you to fly SEP, getting an SEIR allows you to fly it in IMC. You'll need a separate MEP rating to fly MEPs before you can get your MEIR, so its 4 tests. You can do 3 flight tests if you go straight to MEIR without doing SEIR, or if you combine the CPL and MEP and do the MEIR last (the traditional route). Neither of those would make sense.

Also understand that the PPL and CPL are licences, everything else is a rating. If you get your MEP after your PPL then you can do your CPL test in an SEP and your MEP rating will be transferred onto it. To keep your total hours at 200 you need to do the CPL last, since you'll already have done the MEP and MEIR you'll only need to do a 15 hour single engine CPL course.

There are many ways to end up with a CPL and MEIR, but in my opinion PPL, NIGHT, IRR, SECBIR, MEP, MEIR, SECPL is the optimum order if your primary concern is cost. Breakdown is 200 hours, 76 Dual, 100 PIC and 24 hours in your back pocket for going over minimums.

Last edited by rudestuff; 27th Nov 2023 at 11:59.