PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - S211 Down Port Phillip Bay
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2023, 04:16
donpizmeov

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by WetCompass
Yep, still straw manning.
If YOU were involved in a mid air mid Port Phillip Bay and Avalon was available, you would pass that up and go to home base? Even given all the other alternatives require flying over built up areas?
There is not enough information in your question for any pilot to make that decision. How much, if any damage is there to the aircraft? How is the aircraft performing and handling? What's the weather? What services do I require and where are they best addressed? And that would include get information out to help find the other aircraft after you land.

If the aeroplane was performing ok and I considered the damage contained, yes I would consider the option of overfly built up areas and go to home base which would be more familiar. If the aeroplane wasnt performing it would depend. You can't make a blanket decision until you have all the facts. You can certainly pre think what options are available, but you can't make the decision until you see what you have and what you don't have after the incident.

Lots of light aircraft fall from the sky when the engine stops. Should they all avoid flying over built up areas all of the time? Or should they carefully consider there options and always have a plan B?